Ah, who among us hasn’t been trapped in such a quandary before? I know I have. I know I would much rather my coworkers (and even strangers) seeing me reading Jane Austen rather than Veronica Roth, but sometimes I can’t help it. Luckily for me, though, a lot of books do overlap in my “books I want to be seen reading” and “books I want to read” piles. But, for the sake of argument, here are a few books of each category from the comic:
Books I want to be seen reading, but don’t want to read:
- Moby Dick – Herman Melville. I’ve tried, and I plan to try again, but I’m kind of dreading it. Sigh.
- Ulysses – James Joyce. Okay, I only kind of want to be seen reading this because frankly I think anyone who pretends to understand and actually enjoy this book is probably as much of a pretentious douche as Joyce himself was, but depending on the situation, I might want to at least appear to be a good sport by making the attempt.
- The Help – Kathryn Stockett. Occasionally—not often, but occasionally—I’ll decide I want to appear as though I’m all “up on” Oprah’s book club and the associated works. This would probably be my go-to for such a desire.
Books I want to read, but don’t want to be seen reading:
- Twilight – Stephenie Meyer. Disclaimer: I don’t want to read this because I want to read this; I want to read it because I would feel better about bashing it if I knew anything about it other than hearsay. I also kind of want to go through it with a red pen. But I don’t think I want to read it THAT badly.
- 50 Shades of Grey – E. L. James. Again, I don’t particularly want to read this book because I think it’ll be good…but I am kind of curious. I know it’s not the height of literature but maybe it could be a guilty pleasure.
I actually can’t think of any more books I would necessarily want to read but wouldn’t want to be seen reading, because I generally don’t read things I wouldn’t want to be seen reading. Sorry, that sentence sounds really redundant but…I’m tired, sue me.
Anyway, what books do you want to read, but don’t want to be seen reading?