We all do it: we all wonder what happens after the end of a book. (Sometimes, this is what leads to really bad sequels. Less frequently, it leads to really good sequels!) We all get attached to certain characters; sometimes, one will just speak to us: to who we are, to who we wish we were, or to who we aspire to be. Books have this unique ability to make us care about people who don’t exist—other media just can’t compare. Movies are over after only a few hours; few make me truly care about the characters beyond the closing credits. TV shows are a bit better at this; since the good ones last several years, we have ample time to get emotionally invested in the characters’ antics. But you can’t see what they’re thinking or feeling beyond what’s happening on the screen.
That’s where books come in. They can give us all the information that movies and TV shows can’t, and this is why—at least for me personally—books speak to me more than any other sort of media. And because of this, there are lots of characters who I still occasionally think about, and wonder how they’re doing.
I’ll do my best to do this without spoilers…
- Gabe from The Glittering World. I wouldn’t say the book ends on a cliffhanger, exactly—it’s more open-ended than anything. I don’t think a sequel could possibly do The Glittering World justice, so I don’t want that…but I do want to know how things end up for Gabe.
- Richard Mayhew from Neverwhere. Richard’s decision at the end of Neverwhere is a rather interesting one and I’m curious to know how it’s working out for him. I personally think he might have made a mistake, but there’s no way to know.
- Nate from 14. The tale of the weirdo Kavach building is a great one, and while the ending was wrapped up pretty nicely, I’d still like to know more about Nate’s future at the Kavach building.
- Quentin and Alice from The Magicians. Ughhh I can’t even begin to tell you why without super duper spoilers so…I won’t. But I do want to know what their future holds!
- Nick and Amy from Gone Girl. Basically the same as above, but (highlight for spoiler): how totally fucked up do you think their kid is going to be???
- Donna and Victor from Cujo. Their marriage was already on the rocks before the tragedy at Joe Cambers’ place. I can’t imagine how could possibly get better for them, but I hope they would.
- Tommy and Del from Tick Tock. An uptight-but-trying-not-to-be Vietnamese novelist meets and falls for the ultimate Manic Pixie Dream Girl while a devil-doll-turned-terrifying-ghoulish-assassin chases him. After all the excitement of the beginning of their relationship, I’d love to see how they settle into being in, you know, a regular relationship with more mundane problems.
- Rachel from The Liar’s Chair. Yet another that I can’t say why without giving up some pretty big spoilers, but I’d really like to know how her life turned out. And I hope she’s learned how to forgive herself.
- Michelle from Little Peach. Does she leave? Does she go back? Is she able to get the help she needs? I have to know.
- Lettie from The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Again, hard to say why without spoilers…but I really want to know what happens to her.
What characters do you want to follow up with?by